Multifunctional landscapes in Chile
Project Operation Pollinator in Chile
To promote the biodiversity of the pollenizers in agricultural landscapes around the world is the main objective of Operation Pollinator, created by Syngenta and integrated within The Good Growth Plan, its program of viability. These refuges of biodiversity, that can at any time be installed of the year, look for to develop to adaptable seeds with the zones Center and the South of Chile.
In the case of Chile, 14 experimental lots exist that count on these refuges of biodiversity, distributed between the regions of the Defense, Barns, Stop Caliber and Catrala Fundo. The objective is clear: to stimulate and to give the suitable tools to the farmers so that they increase the biodiversity in his estates. The key for it is to seed flowers that act as attractive sustaining to the agents pollenizers, as much native as those that were introduced artificially.
Cycles of the program
Multifunctional landscapes in Chile are made up of five phases, corresponding to period 2014-2020. First of all, in phase IA and during the 2014, we received the scientific support of the apicultural team of the Austral University and the consultant of Environmental Management BIOTA, with the purpose of evaluating and to select the mixtures of flowers, as much for the Zone Center as for the South.
Then, in phase IV (2014-2016) and in the experimental station of Arica - located in the region of Barns the stage of sowing and evaluation of the different mixtures in the Sites de Syngenta took place.
Already in stage IIA (2015-2017), with the support of the Center of Entomologa Aplicada (BIOCEA), the entomological and floral evaluation was realised in six fruit fields of the central zone. As far as the South Zone, two fields for evaluation with the support of the apicultural equipment of the Austral University settled down.
As far as phase IIB, during the 2016 and the 2019, Syngenta one was in charge of the advising to the pioneering farmers of the project for the development of the zones of flowers.
Finally, in stage III (2018-2020) a starring paper scores at the expansion of the project, offering them to the farmers.
All these actions have as aim to reach a greater food safety of environmentally sustainable way after benefit of a population that is in constant growth.
Results than more effective
From its implementation in 2014, Chile is a case marked by the success. With Operation Pollinator as carried out model bases scientist - on the United States by the universities of Florida, California and Michigan and others recognized investigators as the consulting BIOTA, led by Luis Faundez, the Apicultural Equipment Austral University led by Miguel Neira and the Center of Applied Entomology led by Renato Ripa, the put into operation of Multifunctional Landscapes in Chile obtained very successful results: a greater amount of butterflies, melferas bees could be duplicated the amount of pollenizers and be lodged, bumblebees, native bees - these last two, with growth of up to 10 and 6 times its population, respectively flies and much more insects pollenizers, that is to say, people in charge of the process of the pollination.
- The Austral University of Chile By means of, in charge of the entomological evaluations, of the periods of flowering in the South zone of Chile. In addition, it comprised of the phase of development of Operation Pollinator: sowings of flowers.
- BIOCEA, the Center of Applied Entomology took care of the project Operation Pollinator and seedtime of flowers in the central zone.
- Fraunhofer Research ahead took the project Wild Natural Multifunctional of Operation Pollinator, which consists of characterizing the habitat of edge in bilberry orchards, palto and kiwi and its relation with the presence of insects of the Hymenoptera order.
In order to synthesize the installation of Operation Pollinator in Chile:
- He consists of five phases, last of which it is in the heat of development.
- These refuges were applied in 14 experimental lots, between the regions of the Defense, Barns, Stop Caliber and Catrala Fundo.
- It was managed to increase to the amount of insects pollenizers.